13 August 2011

Road artwork

Months and months ago, back in England, I spent some time on Pinterest and saw this artwork from Not On The High Street:

Photobucket

I loved the idea and wanted to do something similar for Noah's room, but I knew right away I didn't want a framed piece - I wanted a big road to stick directly to his wall.

This was way back before we emigrated, or even knew when we would be leaving. Still, I knew I'd eventually make it, and I went and bought the tiny cars.

Finally we got to NZ, our stuff arrived and I'd unpacked my glue gun and craft mat and other odds and ends and I was ready to make Noah's road art.

I had planned to make it out of wood but then I realised I have a garage full of double-wall cardboard boxes that I could use.

Photobucket

I cut a side of a box and decided how wide I wanted the road to be, then drew a big N on the cardboard.

Photobucket

I used a metal ruler and craft blade to cut it out (thank goodness his initial has straight lines and isn't something like S or B!)

Photobucket

Uh oh, those edges don't look too great:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Nothing a little masking tape can't fix.

Photobucket

How it looked from the front:

Photobucket

And the back:

Photobucket

(I do want to mention here that although the paint seems to have helped the masking tape to stay stuck on the front, the tape started lifting at the back. I simply taped it down with regular clear tape.)

Okay, next step - paint it black with acrylic paint. My preferred method is to use a small brush to do the sides and a cheap (new) kitchen sponge to swipe the paint onto the front.

Photobucket

Painted and waiting to dry. I always stand painted items on food cans, it helps keep the edges from getting stuck onto the paper beneath.

Photobucket

While the paint dried I took a sheet of small white labels ...

Photobucket

... and cut 5mm strips.

Photobucket

This created little rectangles that I could stick on the road to make the central lines:

Photobucket

I measured the centre of the road, made little marks with a pen and then used a bag clip to space the lines from each other, while I lined the sticker up with the centre and stuck it down.

Photobucket

Ta-da, a complete road. All it needed was some cars.

Photobucket

The cars were from B&M and were 99p for a 4-pack. They are so cute!

Photobucket

After deciding where each car would be placed on the road I put a blob of hot glue underneath ...

Photobucket

... then stuck them onto the road.

Photobucket

And here is the finished road! Actually it's changed since this picture was taken: Noah pointed out that the centre silver car was going the wrong direction (oops!) so I've corrected that; and he was obsessed with the yellow car so I switched it with another that he had in his collection.

Photobucket

Now all I have to do it hang it on his wall with these little clean release velcro strips.

Photobucket





Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...