25 January 2012

Necessity is the mother of invention

I am doing a jandal (flip-flop) themed cake for a friend and needed a jandal cutter for the fondant decorations. I wanted two different sizes but could only find super large cutters online. I decided to make my own.

I bought a can of L&P ("world famous in New Zealand"), emptied it (yum), washed and dried it.

Photobucket

Then I stabbed holes in it and used scissors to cut the top and bottom off.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I carefully cut it open.

Photobucket

Then I used my craft knife and metal ruler to cut two neat strips of metal. And yes, slicing the metal with a metal craft blade is exactly as set-your-teeth-on-edge as you would expect. *shudder*

Photobucket

I found a jandal template online and printed it to the size I wanted.

Photobucket

Then, roughly following the templates, I carefully formed the cutters out of the metal strips, closing them with a dab of hot glue.

Photobucket

While nowhere near as sturdy or durable as regular cutters they worked just fine for the decorations.

Photobucket

Check back on Friday for photos of the completed cake!


Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...