8 December 2011

Black sandals

I am going to a ball soon and my fairy godmother dear friend R is making me a dress to wear. (More on that later!) I really needed black, strappy stiletto sandals to wear. Can you believe that in my extensive collection of shoes I don't actually have a pair? Shocking, I know!

I did have one pair that would be perfect ... if they weren't neon day-glow pink. Remember these babies that I got for £3?

Photobucket

This is a truer representation of colour. Literally the colour of a highlighter pen. Awesome.

Photobucket

I have never actually worn them. Mainly because England was never warm enough for long enough for me to work them into an outfit. Oh, you know I would wear them sooner or later, but right now I need black sandals.

So I got out a permanent marker and one of my fabric pens and tested how they would work on the shiny PVC. Pretty good!

Photobucket

This pen gave the best coverage:

Photobucket

Before I could stop myself I went for it with the pen.

Photobucket

Here is one completely coloured in.

Photobucket

As you can see, the coverage was patchy - I could probably get away with it in dim lighting, especially since my feet are at least 5 feet away from anyone's eyes. But that wasn't good enough for me so I got out some acrylic paint, just cheap stuff from the dollar store.

Photobucket

I thinned it just a little with water to make it runnier, then used a very soft watercolour type paintbrush to paint over the marker. I don't think I could have skipped the marker step as it provided a good texture / key for the paint to stick to.

Photobucket

Here is the difference before and after the paint (I was a little sloppier with the marker on the second shoe as I knew by then I'd be painting it):

Photobucket

Photobucket

Acrylic paint is great because it is flexible and waterproof.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ta da! I have black, strappy stiletto sandals to wear to the ball! And they cost me nothing as I used what I had.

Photobucket

Sometimes it's worth it to take a risk.





Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...