26 May 2010

Kitchen valance

As you know, I'm desperate for decorating projects but limited by the fact that we'll be selling the house within the next year or so. I decided to tackle a relatively simple and cheap project - a valance for the kitchen window.

I found this fabric at Abakhan Fabrics in Preston. Unfortunately I threw away the selvage that had the fabric name and manufacturer on it. It cost me just over £6 for a 2.3m length and it's decorator weight - bargain!

I used iron-on hemming web to hem the sides and top and then ran out of it so I had to sew the bottom. I had to get the sewing machine out anyway for the box pleats at the top. Then I bought a 1.8m strip of wood (perfect length, didn't even have to cut it) and Grant screwed it to the wall. To finish I hot-glued the valance onto the wood.

As you can see from the way the light shines through the fabric I hung the valance higher than the top of the window which gives the impression that the window is taller than it actually is.

So, what do you think?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I might repaint my little apple crate white or yellow, although in real life the greens aren't as different as they look in this picture. I just fancy a change.


Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...