20 April 2010

Shoe cabinet

You've seen my hallway before:

Photobucket

Do you see that little white cabinet behind the door (Hensvik from Ikea)? (By the way, the plastic bin next to it holds Grant's work boots.)

Photobucket

We use it to store shoes in but I'm sure you can imagine how few shoes we can fit in it with the one lone shelf that is included. We did cobble together extra shelves but because we only stuck the supports to the sides of the cabinet with adhesive they soon fell down.

Photobucket

Today I used some scrap boards to make legs for the supports so that they were better supported:

Photobucket

I then cut some boards to the correct length for the shelves and used spray adhesive to stick them to some leftover plastic fabric (extra from my tablecloth). I used my staple gun to wrap the fabric around the boards:

Photobucket

I made sure to place staples at the joins on the sides to hold the boards together:

Photobucket

Voila, one shelf done, one to go:

Photobucket

And done! The fabric is creased from being folded but will soon relax and smooth out. I was going to paint the shelf supports white but since you hardly see them I won't bother:

Photobucket

Ta-da! Top shelf is Noah's and holds his trainers, crocs and school shoes (which double up as church shoes). The second shelf holds a pair of trainers in the next size up, waiting for him to grow into, and my shoes. The shelf below holds Daniels trainers, crocs and school shoes and the bottom shelf is for Grant's crocs and trainers. The rest of Grant's and my shoes are upstairs; the boys each only own the three pairs mentioned - trainers, crocs and black shoes.

Photobucket

It took me about half an hour to literally double the storage space in this cabinet and didn't cost a penny. Well worth the time! Now if I can only train my children to park their shoes in the right spots instead of just chucking them in then my happiness will be complete.


Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...